Thursday, March 21, 2013

My First Loaf of Whole Wheat Bread, like ever.



 We received a kitchen aid mixer for a gift and were so excited to make bread with it. I followed the directions in the recipe book. The recipe calls for powdered milk when making whole wheat bread. I tried to convert it to actual milk and needed SOOOO much flour to compensate. I just kept adding and adding. It was a disaster actually. I was supposed to have gone out with a friend, but I had to cancel because I was stuck, adding flour to my wet ingredients. I had to take the dough out of the mixer and kneed by hand! It was too much.


Yeast
Flour, 
 I got out my grandmother’s baking mat. It is Tupperware brand and has lasted Since the 70’s. I keened the dough until I had the right consistency. I wasn't quite sure what that was because this was my first time. I separated the dough and let it rise for an hour. I rolled it up. I let it rise for another hour. Some of the separated parts rose longer than others and some had more dough.
Waiting for the dough to rise
Roll it into a long rectangle
Roll it up like a fruit roll up


Place dough in dish with oil all in it
On right: dough that is rising
  
Spiral

The best loaf

The one that did not make the cut

Loafs for sandwiches 

        
             5 loafs came out and 4 of them were eaten. The last one did not come out great and it eventually molded after 3 days. Two were smaller and were used for the chicken sandwiches.  One loaf I gave to my neighbors, and the best one, we made French toast with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment